Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Urban Bleu

As the weekend is approaching, I am excited to have the entire weekend off from my night job!  More excited that I am actually going to get out of my hermit shell Saturday night and go see one of my favorite bands URBAN BLEU.  Now if they can get me out of my house, you KNOW they have to be good! ha ha
I came across Urban Bleu on FaceBook being friends with Norma (their front-runner promoter and number one fan!!!) I had a Saturday night off and convinced my non-blues friends to accompany me in checking out this band.  I could tell that they weren't excited to go, but being good friends they supported and entertained me.  After about five minutes of listening, I noticed all of my friends' heads begin to bob to the beat of the bass, guitar and drums... once the harmonica was pulled out.... I knew I had them! :) By the end of the night my friends were yelling across the table how fun this band was and that they were glad I made them try something new.
Most Utahans hear BLUES and run for the hills, but don't let the name of the band scare you.  They are far from your typical blues band in suit and old-school hat, hence the name URBAN Bleu.  At first glance you're not sure what to expect, as each member brings their own personality and character to stage... but once they play, they hit you with a production of un-matched and incredible talent.  My first reaction was a smile and a "hell yeh".  From Aaron Robbie Fowler as lead vocals, guitar and harmonica, Django Lachlan as bass guitar and vocals, to Brent Christensen on drums... the trio comes together with unbelievable skill and talent that bulldozes it's way right to your soul! I would say they have perfected a mix of several genres... they keep to the root of blues, but add their own touch of rock, jazz, soul, and bad-ass-ness! (Yes I just made that a genre!) 
I had a chance a couple weeks ago to chat with these kats when they took a break from their first set. Quite honestly that's always my REAL test of a band... yeh maybe you can play but how are you 'in person' off stage... and let me just say... I was happily impressed! Super down-to-earth, chill, good peeps (did I just use the word "super"... ugh!). But I just love Norma, she makes the show fun.  To me, she is just as much a part of their show as they are. I look over occasionally and smile because you see how much she loves their music, which is somehow infectious!  
They had their cd for $5, so I took out a $5 bill from my crappy tips that night and haven't stopped listening to their music.  Right now, I would say my favorite song is "Lookin' Out My Window" and as I've now got my daughter hooked on them as well, her favorite is probably "Nothin' to Lose".  I love it, I look back in my rear-view mirror and see her jammin' to the beats and singing along to the words! She is her own mix of bad-ass-ness! ha ha
If you have a chance, check out their website, facebook, myspace, whatever floats yo' boat and come out on Saturday, January 22 to Green Pig Pub (31 East 400 South, Salt Lake City). Green Pig has great food, drinks and will be accompanied by my new favorite peeps... Urban Bleu. (If you are drinkin' make sure you have a D.D. or I will have to throat-punch you! K!) and come on, I'm actually getting out of my house, with people, come support Operation: Bring Janni Back! LOL!!!! Hope to see ya'll there! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment